Woke up at 6:30 this morning to check the weather report and school closings…sure enough, Fort Worth ISD was closed due to inclement weather in the immediate area. It began raining about midnight, turned to freezing rain then sleet, and finally a steady shower of snow and ice was falling between 4:00 and 7:00 am. Add to this mix frigid temperatures (the coldest in 15 years) and it’s a mess around here. People in these parts – I can say that because I’m not from these parts – are idiots when it comes to winter weather. It’s a shame people leave the comfort and warmth of their home just to venture out and see the sights. It’s quite embarrassing too, especially with visitors in town for a football game this Sunday between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers. I wish those visitors would teach Texans a thing or two about winter-weather driving. Seriously, I don’t care if you have an SUV with big-tread tires and four-wheel-drive…..it’s called ice and nobody should drive on it. These are the days when I really wish I owned a dozen auto body shops. Tonight’s news featured a pile-up on Loop 12 near Dallas with 200+ vehicles all twisted and turned around in the road. Idiots.
So what did I do with my day off from work/school?
- I finished grading projects from my B-day students. (I haven’t seen my A-day students in a week and I won’t see them until Thursday – unless this weather continues. Friday is a waiver day for teachers, which means I have to report to campus but students enjoy the day off. LAME!!!!!)
- I washed the dirty pans stacked on the counter, emptied the dishwasher and loaded it again, then finally polished the sink with Bar Keeper’s Friend. That stuff is insanely good.
- I did two loads of laundry and while I waited for the last to dry, I ironed two of Kevin’s shirts. Yes, I used an iron. It would still be sealed and in its original box if I had not used the steam feature on a tablecloth last month. The iron was a wedding present and I’ve been married nearly four years. I don’t iron. Obviously. I don’t own an ironing board either.
- Made a batch of green goddess dip, just because I wanted something for dipping veggie sticks – check out the delicious recipe here.
- Surfed the Net and blogs of friends and found Southern Living magazine’s 28 Days of Chocolate during the month of February…I’m considering participating. Today’s first recipe is pecan pie brownies. I don’t like pecans so I’ll wait and see what tomorrow brings. But a girl has to have a chocolate arsenal, for I-need-chocolate-now moments.
The highlight of my evening: curling up on the couch wearing more layers than quite humanly possibly. With cold weather such as this (currently 12 degrees with -7 wind chill), it’s all about layering your clothes. On me right now: two pairs of socks, sweatpants, long-sleeve Henley under a t-shirt, hoodie sweatshirt, all topped with my bright pink Snuggie.
Life. Is. Good.