I celebrated my 27th birthday yesterday – happy birthday to me! – and I woke up this morning groaning because my house is a mess and I’m expecting a house-full of company tomorrow evening for a progressive dinner. If that Fairy Godmother really exists, I wish she would visit my house with a magic wand.
I am the youth director at my church and the junior and senior high youth groups (about 20 teenagers) are expected to attend the annual progressive dinner event tomorrow evening. We have four courses being served at four different locations around our small town…Kevin and I are providing the entrée portion, we will serve chicken and beef fajitas with all the trimmings plus homemade guacamole. I’m looking forward to this but there’s just one problem: my house is a mess – literally! I’ve been talking for two weeks that I need to clean, but my motivation is below noticeable on the radar. I unloaded the dishwasher earlier, does that spark any interest?!
Actually my to-do list is not all that long. I just need to:
clear (completely!) the dining room table and spread out the new snowflake tablecloth
- clear the coffee table in the living room with all the junk mail and Christmas cards that I will probably save and send next year (please don’t ask, I’ve been very busy lately)
load the dishwasher (again!) and wipe down the stove, oven, and countertops
- scrub the toilet, sink, and tub in the hall bathroom
- dust all visible surfaces in the dining and living rooms
- vacuum in the kitchen, dining room, entryway, and living room
set the table with snowman plates and cups and put forks in a decorative basket
- mop the kitchen floor
- hang the Christmas wreath on the door
- light some candles and appreciate the reason for the season: the birth of Jesus Christ!!!!!!